10 Jan Want to make 2014 your best year yet? 5 things to do right now
This time next year you can be celebrating the fact that you’ve achieved your biggest goals of the year…
Or… if you don’t plan right, you can be vowing that you will not do the same thing and that next year will be different.
To avoid spending next New Year’s Eve wishing you’d achieved more, here are five things you can do to get ready for 2014.
Or download the Vet Dynamics Planning and Goal Setting Guide for 2014.
- Make a list of big goals you want to achieve. Take no more than ten minutes to list the biggest things you want to achieve in 2014. Write these in the simplest terms and make it personal, positive and in the present tense. For example, “I will earn (insert target income goal) by December 31, 2014.” Consider your Personal as well as Business goals to maintain balance and energy.
- Take time to define your “why.” At the Vet Dynamics Conference in September last year I tried to define ‘The Big Why’ of what we do as independent veterinary practice owners. I pointed out that you have to find your real purpose for doing what you do. This is the big emotional reason that you continue to persevere. Your sense of purpose. The “why” behind what you do that goes beyond money. For example, one of our Platinum Practice owners wants to delegate and automate his business to save time and make more money, but his emotional “why” may be that his parents and kids are getting older and he wants to make sure he has the time, money and availability to spend time and care for them should they need his help.
- Review your business and marketing successes and failures from 2013. It’s easier to develop a better, more successful business and marketing plan when you can build on your successes and learn from your failures. Use Vet Dynamics quick and easy guide for reviewing your marketing in the article 8 Steps To Making More Money in 2014.
- Mark time in your calendar to work on your business. It’s easy to get so caught up in the ‘Busy Trap’ our day to day responsibilities of running our business that our marketing suffers. Block out time on your calendar now for the entire year that will be devoted to working on your business. One of your Platinum Member benefits is our Platinum Practice Academy, which offers you a chance to do just that—along with coaching and feedback from your peers and the Vet Dynamics Team. Come along to one of our Veterinary Business Accelerators this year to find out more. Mark one down on your calendar now.
You’ll also want to schedule regular time each week or month when you can review your business and marketing results, plan for upcoming campaigns and develop your marketing.
- Enlist the help of an experienced mentor and/or coach. In Malcolm Gladwell’s Book Outliers: Story of Success, The main theme is the “10,000-hour rule” which says that to reach expert status you need 10,000 hours of study (which equates to roughly 5 years if you spend 40 hours per work on just the one skill you seek to master). This is “expensive experience”. I don’t know about you but I don’t have a spare 10,000 hours left so a short cut may be ‘corrective feedback’ from someone who has already done the 10,000 hours. Several success experts including psychologist Anders Ericsson, author of Psycho-Cybernetics Dr. Maltz all agree that you need “corrective feedback” to eliminate “expensive experience” that is causing you to repeat mistakes. An experienced mentor will help you identify where you can improve, refine your process and help you focus on correctly doing what you need to do to succeed. Plus they will hold you accountable, keeping you on track and moving forward.
While Vet Dynamics has incredible mentoring, coaching and mastermind programs that you can take advantage of, even if you don’t do it through Vet Dynamics, do it somewhere if you’re serious about making the big leaps in your business, rather than simply learning by “expensive experience.”
Today’s list will help you set yourself up for success in the New Year. Check out our post that gives you eight things you can do that are specifically focused on helping you increase your income in 2014.
NOTE: What are the biggest things you want to achieve in 2014? List them in the comments below so we can help deliver content and systems you need most to achieve them.